Thread: glucose
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemple2 View Post
Thank you so much for this information and with pictures no less. I think the tail area may be the answer I am looking for. Winston is not yet a diabetic...but for some unknown reason at around age 2 (he is now 4) he started having seizures that the vet believes is related to low blood sugar. He gives little, if any warning before he starts seizing. That alone is terrifying, I was instructed to check his sugar at the very first sign of a seizure...in hopes that we can prove the hypoglycemia comes before the seizure and not vice versa. I am going to check into that meter also, sounds much easier to manipulate the strip alone without it being attached to a meter. I do know that hypoglycemia often leads to diabetes. I am so scared for my little guy, I just want him to be well. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.
That's a really old meter. It took a lot of blood. They don't even make them anymore. The new meters only require the tiniest drop of blood which is especially helpful if you want to try the tail stick method.

I have the Ultra One Touch Mini for Lady. It is really easy to use.

One Touch Ultra Mini Blood Glucose Meter Kit Jet Black at Hocks.Com

Lady is also an epileptic. Seizures are no fun. Did you know that the seizure itself lowers blood sugar? Dogs can experience a drop in blood sugar right before they seize. That might be what is happening with Winston.

This is from my "bible" on seizures:

Ice Cream After Seizures

The reason behind this is that blood sugar levels often drop drastically before or during seizures and the ice cream will bring the blood sugar level back to normal. The way it works is the sugar in the ice cream will bring the blood sugar level back up to normal while the butter or fat holds the sugar in suspension so that it doesn't cause a sugar rush which plain sugar or honey or molasses would. Bringing the blood sugar level up too quickly is not good which is why we recommend ice cream. Also, bringing the blood sugar level up to normal can help to prevent additional seizures. Low blood sugar itself can cause seizures. If your dog has very obvious pre-seizure behavior and you give a little ice cream before a seizure happens, this can sometimes stop the seizure altogether. Please be sure to thaw the ice cream a bit by letting it sit out on the counter or "zapping" it in the microwave briefly - you don't want to chill your dog too much or have him gulp down frozen ice cream.

Canine Epilepsy and Dog Seizures Table of Contents - Canine Epilepsy Guardian Angels
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!