View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
Bella
YorkieTalk Newbie!

debi s, i had a similar incident w/ my 2 yr old bella. when she was only about 12 weeks old she went into a disoriented, "drunken", dizzy incident which a 24hr vet said was not hypoglycemia but possibly a shunt. that particular day she ate next to nothing. she was so small and fragile, i thought the few pellets she had ate during the day was enough. anyway i had a bile acid assay test done which results pointed to liver disease or a shunt. anyway to make a long story short, i put her on a LOW PROTEIN diet. the dry food is called L/D (liver disease). it's a prescription food which u can get at vet.it's high carb/low protein. read u gave chicken and rice. chicken or any protein is a no no for any dog suspected of liver problems. after my incident i did alot of research and talked to different knowledgable people. strict diet can correct a liver problem, as long as it's not a drastic problem. i don't know where u stand now w/ your baby but if u suspect any kind of liver problem or shunt, get a bile acid assay test done, look into the food i'm talking about and give nutra cal daily, no matter what. i feed my dog steamed brown rice w/ sweet potatos and green beans twice a day. duringthe day, she picks on the L/D dog food. nutra cal every morning too. also she gets no more treats because IMO most treats are garbage, gives nothing beneficial other that satisfying the dog's hunger/love of treats. my dog used to get a treat EVERY single time she barked to let her out,every time she pooped/peed. now she gets no treats for any of that other than kisses and hugs.
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!