Thread: puppy monster
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 AM   #33
YorkieMother
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyK09 View Post
Mariah is my first Yorkie and I was very surprised at how BIG of a personalitiy she has for such a tiny dog! My Bichon never showed any of the traits that Mariah did including the growling, snapping, etc.

When Mariah has something that she should not have we do offer her a treat to get it back instead of chasing her all over the place (and never catching her anyway). We have since taught her "leave it" which helps a lot.

But when she is growling and snapping - that is a whole other situation! I do not believe that "growl is just talk". In my situation it was definitely Mariah telling us that she could do whatever she wanted and we better not try to stop her. That is just not acceptable behavior. I believe if we hadn't stopped it immediately it would have accelerated and Mariah could have really bit and hurt someone!

I WILL NOT allow my dog to think that she can do such a thing! She rarely did it to me because I think she recognized right away that she was not dominant over me but she did do it to my 13 & 18 yr old children as well as my husband. It's just not acceptable behavior! When she would do this we would tell her NO in a very firm voice and tap her bottom. My husband has gently pinned her down. After each doing this once we only had to tell her NO a few more times, doing a few "training sessions" and now she NEVER growls or snaps at anyone! She needed to be taught that it was unacceptable behavior!

Mariah is very sweet and affectionate! She is definitely not afraid of us. She has a a very close and special relationship with each member of our family! I'm grateful for all the wonderful advice I have gotten from everyone at YorkieTalk!
I get where you are coming from and I do understand but if you shut off that growl what a dog have to tell you it is hurt or scared r concerned.

Growl is just like when you Captiall a I WILL NOT or NO in your posts that all it is.
You have to look atthe big picture when taking trainingyour dog maybe just fine with not bein able to growl but the dog of the person you are advising is not ok with that at all. You have advised to stop the grr and noe have casues a possible bite to happen. BIG picturs is always better then the little picture.

JL
YorkieMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!