View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #32
JeanieK
Donating YT 12K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlshAngel985 View Post
Recessive genes, mutations, and how variations work I understand so I don't need explanation on these.
From what I've read genetic testing has been done to prove that Biewers are there own breed of dog. Right?
And parti yorkies, and this is just a theory, could have resulted from a genetic mutation that resulted in the recessive lighter color gene. Or was the recessive gene always there? Did breeders just breed against this coloration favoring the dominant color we've all come to know?
The parti colored yorkies and the Biewer are essentially the same dog. Both are 100% yorkshire terriers, coming from two traditional yorkies that both carried the piebald gene.

Biewers have been recognized as a breed of their own on the German registries, but are not recognized by the AKC. Partis are not recognized as a breed of their own, the YTCA considers them to be wrong colored yorkies but they are registered with the AKC under the yorkshire terriers.

I do not know if any DNA testing was done on the Biewers, but the AKC DNA'd 42 litters before they were satisfied that they were indeed purebred yorkies and not mixed with another breed.

That being said, I am sure there are dogs out there that are being sold as partii colored yorkies but are actually mixed with something. Therefore it is important to know who you are buying from and the line that the dogs came from before purchasing one.
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!