View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #13
Yorkieluv
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkiepup View Post
One more thing I feel I have to mention is that multiple times on this board people have told me that what we were feeding Cruiser (deli meat, braunschweiger, little caesar's, the a/d food) was the WORST thing we could give him. I understand that those were not foods a dog should be eating regularly. But what people seem to not be understanding is that Cruiser simply WOULD NOT EAT! He wouldn't eat the food that was good for him. I tried so many things to get him to eat and he wouldn't so we resorted to things that he would eat so he didn't starve to death. He had to eat something! That is what the vet told us too. We have to get him to eat - whatever he'll eat - then worry about switching him to the right things later. You could feel all his bones. Because of how skinny he was, that is why our breeder thinks that the test results could have been thrown out of whack. She wants to get his appetite up, get some meat on his bones, and then have him retested.
newyorkiepup, I am so sorry if I upset you when I said that a/d was the worst food you could feed. I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by that..I didn't mean that it was a horrible choice because of quality...Many, many people with liver compromised dogs have their babies on prescription Hill's diets (L/D), so I'm not against that.

What I was trying to explain is that the reason your dog wasn't eating those foods you mentioned regularly and becoming picky was DUE to the liver problems. Those foods (a/d) are high in Meat protein which are hard on the liver and produces ammonia in the body which enters the bloodstream which is equivalent to having poison/toxin in the blood and makes them feel very, very sick. They attribute this sick feeling to the food...That's why they become picky.

Given the right 'kind' of food, they are more likely to eat b/c it doesn't make them feel sick. For example, L/D or RC Hepatic LS 14 or veg/dairy protein...

I'm glad you're getting to visit your baby Cruiser!! That's wonderful I'm sure he'll be very happy to see you. Good luck!

Last edited by Yorkieluv; 08-22-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Yorkieluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!