View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
TLC
Slave to My Rug-Rats
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkiepup View Post
One more thing I feel I have to mention is that multiple times on this board people have told me that what we were feeding Cruiser (deli meat, braunschweiger, little caesar's, the a/d food) was the WORST thing we could give him. I understand that those were not foods a dog should be eating regularly. But what people seem to not be understanding is that Cruiser simply WOULD NOT EAT! He wouldn't eat the food that was good for him. I tried so many things to get him to eat and he wouldn't so we resorted to things that he would eat so he didn't starve to death. He had to eat something! That is what the vet told us too. We have to get him to eat - whatever he'll eat - then worry about switching him to the right things later. You could feel all his bones. Because of how skinny he was, that is why our breeder thinks that the test results could have been thrown out of whack. She wants to get his appetite up, get some meat on his bones, and then have him retested.
I understand, but given the chance that he has LS or MVD, those particular foods only make it worse. There are 'other' choices that I am sure he would eat that would not only be safe for his organs to handle, but also to 'fatten' him up.

Fruits and Veggies are really good, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes are really good too! Pasta is also ok. A small amount of low fat cottage cheese is ok. A small amount of eggs are ok.

LS and MVD dogs NEED protein - there's no way around it, but the 'kind' of protein is the key. Meat is the wrong protein, as it is too hard for the liver to handle the purines that the meat has, that means those toxins the liver can't filter properly and those toxins are now allowed to enter the blood and go to the brain and heart - bad, bad, bad - we don't want that, so we choose a different kind of protein that is low in purines, so those toxins are low. The lactulose is great b/c that helps to get rid of more toxins by making them poop - YAY

Hopefully I have explained things a little better - I know this is so much to take in, but once you sort through and start to make sense of it, the right path and plan is easy to deal with
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!