Thread: Hamsters
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Emmsmom
YT 500 Club Member

The one BIG tip I can give is that the girls will stink! THey will emit an odor especially if there are males near by. You do have to play with them a lot or they will become skiddish and can bite. Also the big blocks of food are they best thing for them. They are hard and it allows them to file down their teeth. Their teeth will keep growing and if they grow to long they can starve to death because they can't eat.The food is usually labeled as rat food. Most stores use them. A wheel is a MUST.Without one they will loose their minds. They need to exercise. We usually kept ours in an aquarium because they chewed threw the other plastic cages. OHHH if the wheel gets squeaky you can always dab a little vegetable oil on it. If the kids take good care of them they can live for 3 to 4 years. My daughter had one that we called "Little Man". He was the sweetest teddybear hamster. He lived to be 4. I actually cried when he died. I felt so silly. He really was a sweet hamster. He would even stretch out in our hand and let us rub him...OHHH to help them transition you can mix their water bottle with a little gatorade. Congrats on your new babies!

Last edited by Emmsmom; 08-18-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Emmsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!