View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Vick
Yorkie Yakker

Default looking for answers

I am a fairly new Yorkie owner. We have a little male that is 5 months old, he is so loving and adorable that we thought we would get another one. I guess you can never have just one!!

I even posted on this site to ask advice about adding another one so soon.

Well 10 days ago we brought home our little girl. She is 13 weeks old and weighs 2 lbs. She is just the most precious thing we ever saw. The first night home we noticed a cough so the next day I took her for a vet check. The gave her a cough medicine to use at night and started her on an antibiotic. She seemed to be okay for the first few days but her cough did not clear up. On day # 8 she woke up with a really wet cough and would not eat. We took her to the ER vet and they did lab work and a chest x-ray.
She had pneumonia and also the x-ray showed an enlarged heart.

So we decided to bring her home with a new antibiotic and spent the entire day yesterday holding her and feeding her from a syringe. As soon as my vet opened this morning I was waiting outside. After the exam they noted that she now has an irregular heart beat. So they kept her for IV fluids and IV antibotics. They are also doing a EKG. She has lost 3 ounces in 5 days and is so sick!! So now we are wating to hear what the prognosis is for her.

I have searched the web and have read so much information regarding how this effects dogs.

So now I am looking for anyone that has had a baby with an enlarged heart and am desperate to know if they can live a normal life.

We have already spent over $1000 on vet bills this last week. But we opted to take her to our trusted vet. I know that we could take her back and get another puppy or get our money back. But that is not how love works..........the breeder has not offered to help with her medcial bills. So my husband and I decided that is okay with us............she is our baby and we will do the very best we can for her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Vick is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!