Thread: Is it just me?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
Grace and Anne
Yorkie Talker

I am the foster/adoption coordinator for a rescue in Texarkana AR. I looked for 2 months for a Yorkie rescue to adopt. I finally gave up and bought my second Yorkie from a hobby breeder in Little Rock AR. The adoption fees on rescue yorkies were so high, I couldn't begin to touch them. And as someone who works with rescues, I just don't get it either!

Our rescues, no matter what the breed are adopted out for a fee between $50 and $150. We have never gone any higher. (Many of these have been full breed or designer breed) No matter how long the animal was in our care, no matter what it took to get them healthy and ready for adoption..... And my husband and I have had orphaned pups from 6 days old to strays that took 6 months to adopt, to a almost starved full blood boxer who was heart worm positive and had to be neutered. His bill, when ready to adopt was over $1000. His adoption fee was proof of training classes from his new owners.....

It shouldn't be about money. Yes, a new owner should be aware of the costs. But charging people more than most can afford to adopt a homeless animal isn't the answer. We include on our application a list of expenses including yearly shots, heart worm preventative, flea preventative and spay/neuter. Applicants are required to fill this out according to their vet's pricing. We won't accept an application until this is filled out...

We work very hard on fundraisers in our area. It's a major part of what we do, and the reason why is to insure that we keep our adoption fees down. We also assist owners in emergency medical situations, we realize that even loving pet owners have situations that require a little help. And of course, we also assist in spay/neuter bills through our local vet.

It's about the animal not about the owners!!!! Making sure that they have a loving home.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!