View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
hpgirl2008
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Puppy sold is now sick

Hello everyone - my name is Erika and we live in Indiana. I have a male and female Yorkie and we have been breeding for quite a few years so I have a little experience. Anyways, this is the second litter for our 2 dogs, and the last litter was born May 6, 2008. We had 2 little girls and a boy, and we sold the girls on Monday. When we sold the dogs they had their shots and wormed, and the puppies were happy-go-lucky and absolutely healthy as can be. No problems, the vet had checked them out. The couple who bought one of our little girls called me the next day and said that the puppy wasn't eating. Okay, that's not abnormal when they go to a new home, but I was concerned about the puppy getting low blood sugar, so I told them exactly what I had been feeding the dogs (which was Science Diet puppy small bites and some Pedigree canned food every night as well). They never called me back, so I assumed that she was doing okay. I get a call today, Friday (they bought the puppy on 7/25 and it is 8/1. They said they had just taken the puppy to the vet this afternoon, but it had been vomiting ALL WEEK LONG. The husband was understandably upset, but acted like this was my fault. This is the first time I have ever had to deal with anything like this, I have never had a sick puppy EVER. So I called the vet myself to find out what was going on because of course I am worried not only for that puppy but for my other dogs as well. He tells me the puppy's temp was 99, which was below normal, and it was like a limp rag doll, not moving. He has no clue what is wrong, but is giving her IV fluids, warming her up and dosing antibiotics. Okay, I know a lot about Yorkies, but not so much about sick Yorkies, my dogs have always been extremely healthy and NEVER throw up or get sick. I know the couple is going to want me to pay for the vet bills and get their money back, but this is not my fault and I need some advice. I don't breed for a living, this is something I just love to do, because I love my dogs and I adore puppies and I love to see people getting a new dog because they love it. But right now I am unemployed and we are barely surviving because our daughter has medical problems. So this time the money is also helping us out. I don't know what to do here, I feel terrible for the couple and the puppy, but I think they should have taken the puppy to the vet much much sooner, I just think they may have waited too long and she may be past the point of no return now. Can anybody help me here with some advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
hpgirl2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!