View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #88
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaDtreasures View Post
And if you dont...take them to someone you do.

Some YT's need to quit putting out bad information
Members seeking help for their sick puppies may not know any better.

Bam Bam is getting better and still a few ...insist on pushing this test.
Why chance it?
While it may not have been the cause of lil teasers death and others.
It contributed to it in his weakened condition.
I would hate to have seen this happen to Bam Bam and others with sick tiny pups
Who would insist their vets do this test based on a few people from YT saying it?
Please dont....talk with your vets..yes..but do not push for this test.
Your vet will know if it should be done on such a tiny...young and sick puppy.

A blood draw is NOT a blood draw is a blood draw..

It takes an EXTRA CC at the least to do the BAT testing.
Along with what is needed to do the blood panel.
So more wrong information
Oh like this EXTRA small amount matters ?!?!?
Yes...It sure can on a puppy that is already sick and weak.
When you're talking a puppy who weighs mere OUNCES....
Its just not needed. And may mean death.

Since when is this Dr. Dodds website the bible on blood draws, BAT testing or anything else for that matter.

At the time that Bam Bam's owner posted that there may be a problem, some very serious symptoms were being reported. These are the kind of symptoms that you can't just let go. Now, if the pup is getting better that is great and the test can wait. Had the pup not gotten better and a liver problem was present, it would have been in his best interest to get a diagnosis and support. Dogs with liver disease can go downhill very quickly.

I don't think anyone believes Dr. Dodds knows everything and she doesn't claim to. She is, however, one of the most knowledgeable vets on vaccines and I think even thyroid problems. Blood taken and sent to Dr. Dodds is sent to Antech. So Antech needs 1 cc of blood per draw for a bile acid test. It really has nothing to do with Dr. Dodds. It has to do with Antech.

If only the postprandial is done, it is 1 cc.
So far, from what I have read that is the same as or less than a blood panel.
Of course it is best to get paired samples, but if the amount of blood taken is that much of a concern, just doing the postprandial is a place to start.

This really doesn't apply to Bam Bam anymore since everything seems to be resolving but I haven't seen anything from a lab posted that says a blood panel takes less than 1 cc.

Ultimately all owners need to talk to their own vets and decide what is best for their pup/dog. In most cases, a sick pup probably should have a blood panel but very little is true 100% of the time and if a Yorkie is circling, head pressing and has no appetite and I can only have 1 cc of blood, I have to strongly consider (with my vet) doing a bile acid test.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!