View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 07:45 AM   #85
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Could you post the link to where you are seeing that a BAT takes more blood than a blood panel?

I am seeing from Dr. Dodds (Antech I think) that a bile acid test is 1 cc per draw, so 2 cc's. If only the postprandial is done it would be 1 cc. Above it are a couple blood panels/cbc's. It looks like these are 2.5 ml. So even doing pre and post bile acids would be less. What am I missing?
I am just basing my information from what I read in Teaser's case that 3 cc of blood were drawn and because of his size and the amount of blood drawn, his immune system was compromised. Maybe the vet drew more blood than was necessary. My main issue is that I do not encourage BAT testing on 12 week old healthy puppies. I would encourage a blood panel be done on a sick puppy and then if the vet feels it necessary, do a BAT test. There are dangers in many things, like vaccinations, spaying, neutering, etc but we cannot just not do these things because something might happen. In raising a dog there are many choices to be made and we just have to pray we make the right choices. The right choice for one dog might end up being the wrong choice for another. Tragically, sometimes no matter how hard we try to do the right thing, things just go wrong. Choosing the right vet is also very important.

Last edited by bjh; 07-31-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!