View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 04:45 AM   #81
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFairLacy View Post
A blood draw is a blood draw is a blood draw... how can a blood draw for a blood panel be safer than a blood draw for a BAT test when it's the EXACT SAME THING Only the tests ran on the blood AFTER THE BLOOD IS DRAWN is different...
I am confused also.

Anyway, I am so sorry about what happened to Teaser. I think that breeders should have the say as to what goes on with their pups. I think if a breeder doesn't want to test pups routinely, that is fine.

What I don't think is okay is saying blood draws on puppies are always dangerous or saying blood draws from the jugular are just not at all safe.

There has to be a balance here.
Some puppies need to have blood tests and there is nothing anyone can do to get around that. Their lives may depend on it. Some vets prefer to draw from the jugular in small dogs because it is less stressful for all involved. Drawing from the leg of a small dog can easily collapse the vein making it impossible to get blood or repeated attempts may be necessary. That would be very stressful for a pup. The jugular is usually the vein of choice for very tiny dogs. I let Ellie's vet office draw hers from there because they are the ones (especially the vet) that have to do the procedure and they better be comfortable with what they are doing... Yes, there have been pups die from blood draws but I would hope the vet would know enough to weigh the risks and benefits (just like spay/neuter) and decide if it is something that needs to be done or if the patient can wait to have it drawn. There have been dogs die from jugular blood draws but it is very rare and again I would hope your vet would know what your dog can handle.

It just makes me very uneasy that so many people have gotten so nervous about drawing blood lately. I wouldn't have blood drawn from a puppy UNLESS it was necessary and I think the vet is the best person to decide that. I used to be nervous about the jugular vein thing and still am somewhat but you will get used to it. Your vet could always try the leg first and if that doesn't work then I think the jugular has to be an option.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!