View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
normagertz
Yorkie Talker

I picked up my new puppy at 7 weeks from a breeder on July 8th in the midwest and brought her to South Florida where I live the next day. It was a long day with two flights and lots of delays. I had Nutrical with me and some food the breeder gave although she wouldn't eat it. Had read Yorkietalk articles so I had also purchased some baby food chicken and beef and gave it some of that. Upon arriving home, started the puppy on Innova puppy food. The puppy was fine for the first week. The breeder took it to her vet for a checkup before I picked her up to get a health certificate so she could fly on the plane in the cabin with me and then I took her to my vets office the day after I returned to have her checked. Both said she was great and a healthy puppy. The Vet (there are several in the clinic) is YOUNG and new to the office. She gave my puppy the bordatella innoculation (not sure of spelling) and a worming (which later they told me she didn't have worms). About a week later my puppy starting coughing and seems like the dry heaves and it was just once in a while for the first two days (it started Monday night). On Wenesday afternoon it became severe and I rushed her to the Vet's office. She checked her breathing, heart, etc and said she does not have anything in her passageway and that she doesn't have running eyes or nose which rules out a cold and that it is a collapsing trachea and that sometimes they outgrow it but she suggested either a radiograph then or when I bring her in for more of her puppy shots in 2 weeks I should have a radiograph (X-ray) done. She pressed on her throat and decided that was what is the trouble. She prescribed Hycodan syrup. I have given it to her several times now but she doesn't seem to be coughing too much however, several times just lying in her cage she did it without any exercise, excitement or anything. Somehow, I just have to question it being a collapsing trachea because she didn't do it when I first got her and after several weeks all of a sudden it starts. I wondered if it is possible to catch kennel cough from the vets office or from one of the innoculations they gave her. The breeder didn't wean her correctly and left the mother in with her at night until I picked her up so she isn't a good eater. I am giving her puppy Innova and mostly have to feed her from my hand to get her to eat. She has gained weight though. At times she runs around like a little mad woman playing and that doesn't cause her to cough. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the possibility that it could be something other than the trachea problem? The breeder thought she would be 8 weeks when I picked her up but had miscalculated her age. She weighed 1 lb 4 oz when I took her the first time two weeks ago to the vet. On this past Wednesday they said she had gained more weight. However, I feel it is due to my handfeeding her and making sure she is eating. Today she really didn't want to eat much. I have never felt so stressed with a puppy. I have had them over the years but never experienced anything like this. I am madly in love with her and have had her to the vet twice now in 2 weeks and still feel apprehensive about her. I take her to work with me everyday and feel fortunate that I am allowed to have her with me. Am the only one at work so she does get to sleep peacefully. The dog has about 80% championship in 136 ancestors so it isn't a puppy mill dog. Sure hope someone has some suggestions. I am not sleeping well either although the puppy seems to be. Could her coughing be from an infection? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Daizee's mommy
normagertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!