View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
MilesDavis
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Choking Cough...Not Responding to Antibiotics

I got Miles when he was 10 weeks old. The first night I had him, I noticed that he was waking up and coughing. The next day, he had his first vet appointment, and the vet told me it was kennel cough. She prescribed a cough medicine for him to take at night (that's when it is worse) and Amoxicillin as a preventative measure. We finished the antibiotics and nothing had improved. In fact, it actually got a little worse. So three weeks later, I had him back into the vet. She ran a CBC to check for infection, and sure enough, his WBC was up a bit. So she prescribed Clavamox and said to take it twice a day until it was gone. It's gone now...and I still have a yorkie with a terrible choking cough...mostly at night. He will wake up and cough so hard that he can't even keep his balance. It hasn't caused him to throw up or anything, and he still has plenty of energy (PLENTY!), and has a normal appetite. Can kennel cough last this long?? Is there anything else it could be? He's now 16 weeks old, and still hacking!
MilesDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!