View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
bchgirl
Donating YT 10K Club Member

A couple of things....

Treatment of mild to moderate kennel cough does not require prescription medicine. It usually clears up on it's own. If she was given a vaccine against kennel cough...that would be bordetello. It is a preventative not a treatment. Bacterial pneumonia can be secondary to severe kennel cough. This would be treated with antibotics.

Was your puppy tested for coccidea while at the vet's? Other than the cough...the symptoms you describe are identical to symptoms my Reese had when he was diagnosed. Including the signs of infection...but at the time...my vet hadn't taken a stool sample to test for coccidea...so she didn't know what was causing the infection.

During that visit Reese was also diagnosed with an enlarged heart via an x ray. Even though he acted fine...after being treated for the coccidea...I still made an appointment with a cardiologist. His heart is fine. The cardiologist explained regular vets use an image chart to compare with x rays. Yorkies...as a breed....have larger hearts. It's not abnormal. That being said...a cough can be a symptom of heart problems. Perhaps your puppy's cough is simply from the pneumonia. If puppy only coughs in the morning....and not whenever she is exerting herself...it probably is not heart related....we'll hope so.

It is common for breeders to with hold akc registration papers until neutering is performed.

Did you have any other contract? Some offer a health guarantee if you have problems within a certain time period.

If there isn't a health guarantee or no contract at all...your only recourse is likely via the court system.

PS If your puppy is very small...go purchase a tube of nytrical. Give her a bit every morning and evening. This will keep her blood sugar up and prevent her from "crashing" from hypoglcemia.
bchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!