View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
cappy
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Help with Breeder

I purchased my baby from a breeder, I was looking for a small yorkie. She had one, she was the runt of the litter and basically a miracle due to it being a larger litter than normal. we picked her up 1 weeks after Mother's Day. She was born on Feb. 19th, at least that's what we were told by the breeder. We have yet to see her papers. She had a cough when we picked her up, the breeder claims she didn't have a cough, she was treated for kennel cough but did not respond to the meds. It was a weekend at 3 a.m. she totally lost her appetite and wouldn't drink, she was lifeless, her breathing was very strained. The breeder had told us when we bought her if she starts to crash please call me and give me a chance to take care of her, she was sure she would be okay but just incase. Because of the hour we made a quick choice to take her to the emergency animal hospital which we could throw a rock and hit the building or drive 20 min. to the breeder and hope she was home. This was an emergency. She only weighed a pound and a quarter when we got her and now she weighed 1.14. They ran tests on her and her blood work came out fine except her white count was elevated. They did an x-ray, wasn't a very good picture. The Dr. told us she was fighting an infection but he didn't know what it was, after a 7 hour stay she seemed to eat a bit but not much improvement, we took her to our Vet. She looked at her x-rays and said the hospital didn't feel she had pneumonia but she felt she did. She took another x-ray and she was convinced it was pneumonia and treated her as such. BUT she
doesn't have staff overnight and because of Cappy condition she requested we have her spend the night at the emergency hospital and bring her back in the morning, she would keep her during the day. She also was very concerned that the x-ray showed she has a VERY LARGE HEART. At the hospital she was on IV fluids and had a breathing treatment. It was the difference between night and day. Thank God she was on her way back. It took 3 stays at the animal hosp. and one stay with our Vet. To get her perky, eating and running around like a mad thing. It also took over $1,500.00 later. I was told by the Vet at the animal hospital that the AKC offers 60 days free health coverage on new puppies up to $1,500.00. We've reached that, I emailed the breeder and gave her all the info....she freaked. She said don't let them run any tests on her she's to little. She could have taken care of her, she told us it was pneumonia. Without even seeing her, she's not a vet but she knew what it was. I feel she had pneumonia before we even bought her, he breeder had us wait an additional week before we could take her home, she gave us a card that said she had received treatment or vaccine for kennel cough on 4-18 whichever I'm not sure and she had a cough when we picked her up. After all of her treatments she still has a cough when she wakes up in the morning. When she runs around with our other 2 dogs it clears up. I feel it in my gut that she is going to have other medical conditions, I've been trying to get ahold of the breeder to get me her AKC reg. forms. She has not answered my emails or my phone calls and I'm at a loss as to what to do. I feel the breeder holds some responsibility. If anything at least give us her AKC registration papers so we can get the insurance. She needs an Ultrasound of her heart. Somethings wrong because the cough won't go away. On the bill of sale it states we will not receive her AKC registration until we have her spayed at 8 months and give proof. This isn't a joke, I can't afford many more Vet bills. I need that insurance. What can I do? Is the breeder responsible for any of the bills?
cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!