View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
topknot
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I have been through two c-sections in the last 3 months. Just give her time and keep the pups warm and with her. That is the best. It will take her awhile to come out of it completely. The pups can still nurse mama. Get them sucking on her. It may take some of the pups a little help sometime, because they also get a little (not much) of the gas. If you have to you can hold them on if needed. Also you will need to make sure they have gone potty both way. It is important to get the first stool out. You can do this by putting a little vaseline on your finger and brush back-n-forth on their bottoms. Mama will take over with this once she is completely awake. Watch her temp - every morning and evening. If it goes over 102. call the vet and he will give you an antibiotic for her. The vets don't always give it now. Cici had to have antibiotic, but Gigi did not. If you have to give antibiotic - also give mom and pups Bene-Bac. It will help her keep the good bacteria, she needs.
Also pups do not need milk for the first 24-48 hours. They can use glucose and seterile water and is better - check Anne Seranne's book for how to make it, if needed. But only if they do not suck. I had a pup that I had to handfeed, since she was stuck for so long. Mama's milk is the best.
She should do fine - just give her time. Keep her warm, but not overheated - also make sure they are not near any drafts.
Also after a c-section many yorkies want to be hand feed. There is a great recipe for ones that won't eat - Mother Nature's Pudding Recipe. I think we have this on file here. They love this and I had to spoon feed both of my girl this for about 7 days. Also add in the cottage cheese and a good protein soft food, chicken is good too.
Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
T.
topknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!