Thread: Ear candling
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 08:17 AM   #38
Yorkieforme
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auddoc06 View Post
Ear candeling does feel good, but please be careful. I have seen some cases in which there was harm to the eardrum and ear canal from too much candeling. By the way, I am a doctor of audiology as my login refers to (auddoc06).

The ear wax, or cerumen, serves a vital purpose in our ears and is there for several specific reasons. First, it serves as a natural lubricant for our earcanals so dry skin does not develop in the ear canals. Many suffer with dry skin in the canals and occasional candeling is helpful.

Second, cerumen has a natural insect repellant in it that deters insects from entering the ear canal. If there is no cerumen in the canals, insects are more likely to enter the nice dark canal to lay eggs; YUCK.

Lastly, the cerumen forms in the canal and slowly migrates from deep inside the canal to the opening of the ear canal and this help keeps debris and other foreign materials from the eardrum. So it is important to have some cerumen in the canal. If the cerumen is blocking the canal, that is when it is time to ear candel or see your Audiologist or ENT for removal of the cerumen. Our standard protocol is once every 3 to 6 months.

If you have any furthers questions, regarding ears or hearing please feel free to ask.

Dr. Kelly McConnell
Audiologist
So if a person gets a lot of ear wax ...daily removed with a q-tip but inner ears always feel itchy..not painful..would this be something good to try?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!