View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #19
CupofDog
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
I agree it's healthier to be a little underweight than overweight, but have you asked your vet about this? He can probably give you a pretty accurate number on what your puppy should weight. I always worry that if they are too thin, the very first illness can be disastrous.
Yes! I have consulted with three vets, a veterinary homeopath and tons of friends in my canine nutrition community. Being able to feel ribs and spine is healthy, but obviously too skinny isn't good either, as you said.

Finding your pet's ideal weight is an extremely important issue and my instinct is to tell people do not try and have your puppy gain extra weight without consulting a vet or three

My dogs are definitely skinny - they are raw eaters and raw feeding produces an extremely lean body. My neighbors and mother in law are constantly telling me my dogs are too skinny - so thats why I have such a vested interest in this thread. I am constantly defending my own dogs on this very issue!

My vets say my dogs are the healthiest in their practice. My point is, as a culture, we have lost sight of what our pets are supposed to look like. Listen to your vet - not your heart telling you to feed your puppy more because he likes it.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!