View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
SladesMommy
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellKaye View Post
What is the protocol for neutering? I have all males, (inside and outside) so an unwanted litter was never an issue. My older male -not a Yorkie- that I just had neutered never marked indoors. He had a very small but suspicious lump come up on his scrotum. My vet said it was not cancer but could one day lead to it. I can't remember the scientific word he used. (He said it was something on the stem of something.) Anyway, that is why we had him neutered. But he waits until 6 months to neuter. I did not get into the specifics with him as to why because at that time, Mason had never marked inside. And so far, has only done it that one time at my mom's house. Should I look around for another vet or is 6 months the norm. Is there any hard and fast rule as to when this should be done? There is another Vet in the area that I used in an emergency in the past that I would also trust. I don't know her age policy on neutering. IT could possibly be the same.
A lot of vets won't spay and neuter til 6 months. Luckily we have several progressive vets in the area that do believe in pediatric altering. With males its not as important to get them fixed early as females. For females spaying before the first heat greatly reduces the chance of breast cancer.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!