View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Cookie2
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default Losing teeth but cannot get him a cleaning under anesthesia?!

Ok ,
let me try to explain what is going on with my baby. Well he's 4 yrs old and weighs 3 lbs. He also has MVD microvascular dysplasia. Sorry if the spelling is off. Anyway I asked about getting his teeth cleaned like 2 yrs ago. My vet told me that she would not be able to put him under to do a cleaning. She said the risk was too high for a little one like him plus his condition also. She told me to try my best and get a scaler,wrap him up in a towel and clean 1 tooth per day so I dont stress him out.Well this is nearly impossible because as soon as he sees the scaler he screams like crazy.Plus some of his teeth are loose and I know this really must hurt him. I have had loose teeth due to having braces and trust me it hurts if someone is scraping them !
he's lost several teeth and I feel he is going to lose the rest within another 1-2 yrs I love him to death .
She was not the only vet to tell me that the risk was not worth the dental cleaning.
He has bad plaque around the top gumline.I have scraped a lot off but it takes so much force to scrape this off ,it really hurts him. Our other dogs do NOT have anything close to this. Yes I do brush his teeth often.The vet told me that she suspects that the bile/acid maybe a reason why he has such a buildup of plaque. Also he's on a special diet and it's canned food. That's another reason also. He will NOT eat hardfood . I wasted money on buying the low protein hard food and he will not eat it ,no matter what I put on it so this is not an option .

My question: What else can I do or what can I use for his teeth?

Genie
Cookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!