View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
EnchantedToi
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Cindy
You make some very valid points, the amount of new Biewer Breeders popping up is frightening to me. One only has to visit puppyfind and browse through the adds to see some less than worthy dogs being sold as "show- breeding quality"
In less than a few years we are seeing some breeders who have already run through the entire alphabet ,with the amound of litters they have produced * sigh*Like you I really believe in taking it slow with the breed and see how it develop's structurally as well as health wise. I aquired my first two Biewers in the summer of 2006 and I am still not planning a litter, I have made a personal decision to exhibit and show for this year.I do not more than my fair share of breeders involved with the breed, and I can count on my hands the ones who after 3 years are only just starting to produce litters.This speaks volumnes to me.And I agree regarding AKC what is the hurry? The Biewers have been a breed of there own since hitting North American soil, and have been shown under the different venues since 2003.I love the "Rare Breed show atmosphere, very laid back. Everyone is helpful and friendly,with 4 venues for Biewer Fanciers to choose from in which to show, I really believe it gives us all an opportunity to take our time and make sure we do things right the first time.

Just my opinion
Jan

[quote=livingdustmops;2038166]
Quote:
Originally Posted by red98vett View Post
Why does the conversation about Biewers vs Yorkies turn into such battles I wonder ?

QUOTE]

It is real simple to me...it is all about trying to get the Biewers into AKC and being the parent club and controlling everything about the Biewers. It becomes very clear if you read the rules for bringing in a new breed to the AKC via FSS. In my personal opinion these dogs are not anywhere near ready to go AKC until we understand all the health issues with these dogs and we have enough good breeders that are into their 5th generation breedings to see what is going on. We have to many breeders that have never bred before just throwing dogs together and they do not have a clue about line breeding or inbreeding and what the results could be. We have breeders that cannot read a pedigree so it is real scary what they are putting together.

I do think it is sad for the dogs what is going on but power and money seem to override the concern for the dogs.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!