View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
txrosegirl
owned by my monkeys
Donating Member

Angry PETLAND - as if we needed another reason...

okay i apologize if this has been posted already but i do not remember seeing it since i found YT ... and this is kind of long lol

i stopped at petland a couple weeks ago (i live in the far north dallas area) just to see what it was all about...those poor puppies! there was a 14 wk old yorkie girl (she was sooo cute - looked like my miss buffey when she was that age!) who was in a cage with a chihuahua and she was backed into a corner, trembling and cowering because the other puppy was trying to play with her too aggressively it was so sad...well a lady saw me staring at her and offered to let me hold her...i said no thanks - just looking...well she took her out anyway and put her in my arms...she was soo cute but desperately needed a bath ... she had poo matted ALL OVER HER HAIR INCLUDING AROUND HER FACE ...

i was playing undercover (lol) so i asked about her registration and price...she said she was AKC registered and was $1800...i asked to see the paperwork....she brought it out and let me look at it....in the meantime, the puppy is sitting in my lap and she was as sweet as could be - no longer shaking or scared and a totally sweet puppy...well i look at the paperwork and she is CKC...i said she is CKC, not AKC like you stated, why is she so expensive? she said it was because they include all puppy shots and the spay and neuter with their "partner" vet ... i said that was still too much for a CKC puppy and that i paid far less than that for my three AKC registered yorkies from GOOD breeders...at that point, she took the puppy from me, gave me a dirty look and walked away but i digress...onto the real story

a coworker of mine told me something i did not know about petland that made me mad, although i cannot say i am suprised...his wife and son got a puppy from them last weekend...he was NOT happy about it at all and today is still mad lol ... i forwarded him a bunch of links about petland and puppy mills so he and his wife would know not to support them next time around...anyhoooo his puppy is adorable (a pomchi) but they noticed he was sneezing and coughing...so his wife takes him to the "petland vet" because it was free but also scheduled an appt with their regular vet (who is very well known in this area and has won numerous city awards for veterinary medicine) .. well sure enough puppy has kennel cough ... and then their regular vet tells them this:

he sees lots of pets from petland and they got lucky...other than the kennel cough the puppy is very healthy...but here is the kicker: when petland first came, they contacted him to be their "partner" vet...they proposed it as a lucrative relationship but explicitly stated that he was THEIR employee first and foremost and that he was not to say anything other than the puppies brought in were in great health and he was no longer allowed to think of the puppies and the families first anymore OMG can you believe that? his response was, "take a hike and never contact me again"

i was just surprised that they would be this "open" about this...i figured they must pay the partner vets off somehow but i was shocked to hear this!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!