View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
silyjillie
YT 1000 Club Member

Both my father and grandfather have daibetes. My grandfather is type 2, takes pills during the day to regulate his insulin. My father is type 1, where is body doesn't produce insulin and has to give him insulin injections throughout the day to regulate his sugar. I guess growing up with it, it's not too scary. I'm sure, it being new to you, it's scary. But, if you work hard and change your lifestyle, it is manageable. If you have extra weight that you could lose, it would help you. You have to start eating more consciously.

My father was brought up in a traditional Portuguese family, where they eat big, full meals and dessert is always served. He likes sweets! He was originally a type 2 diabetic but, didn't take it serious enough in the beginning and his diabetes got worst. Now he eats completely different and has it under control. It was scary in the beginning though, and when he first started using insulin. He usually writes down what he eats, so it's easier to keep track, and uses a machine, in the morning and at night, to take his blood sugar readings. He started walking after work and on the weekends and lost some weight, and it helped a lot.

My hs friend is also a diabetic, too. He was your typical crazy jock, baseball player. He was outgoing and funny, the life of the parties. It was at a friend's hs graduation party, where he got really dizzy and passed out. When he got to the hospital, they took a reading and his blood sugar was in the 600s Normal is in between 80-120!! He went into a diabetic coma and was in the hospital for a few days. He's fine now. He's on a stricter diet and is just careful.

My cousin was very very heavy. He was, idk, in the upper 200lb range close to 300lbs, and was giving himself a few insulin injections a day by the age of 16. He's now 25 and recently lost a ton of weight. He's a lean 160lbs now. Since he's lost the weight and on a new diet, he's off his insulin injections and only takes 2 pills a day now.

I hope my stories haven't scared you more. I just wanted to give you my family's experience. It's very scary in the beginning but it's controllable. A strict diet is key. You have to get it under control in the beginning, unlike my dad did. Good luck at the doctors! I'll be thinking about you and praying for a good reading!! Let me know how you make out at the doctors! Think positive until Friday!

Last edited by silyjillie; 06-04-2008 at 09:01 PM.
silyjillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!