Thread: kennel cough
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
eringabrielle
YT Addict

Hmmm, I haven't heard of skiping vaccines for that. Both of mine had their vaccines while they had kennel cough.

And I know how confused you feel. We got such conflicting information too, some saying that antibiotics only prolong the cough and others warning that kennel cough can turn into pneumonia without treatment.

After a lot of thinking we decided to take the natural approach, and it worked for us. It's tricky. In my opinion, kennel cough isn't the worst thing that can happen, and isn't worth the vaccine (unless your dog is around a lot of other dogs)or anitbiotics. The antibiotics seemed to prolong it in our dogs. When Willow had her first and second bout, we didn't use them, I think we only gave her one dose the first time when she was a puppy, but nothing else after that. AND she was around the size of your puppy (she is only 2.6 pounds now, full grown). I just didn't like the thought of pumping her tiny body with all those drugs. So while I was hesitant at first, we skipped the vet and she healed just fine, quicker actually. The key is to boost their immune system as much as you can through diet....we also used natural remedies as well, just to ease her throat.

If I were you, I would speak to another vet about vaccines, since your puppy seems to be feeling ok, I would skip the vet trips for the nebulizer and use a vaporizer at home, and try to forgo the antibiotics for awhile....see what happens. As long as he isn't getting any worse, just keep up with the vaporizer and try a cough suppressant (I highly recommend onlynaturalpetstore.com, they have a few to chose from).

I know how frustrating and worriesome it can be, especially because it seems to take forever for it to go away. Good luck with whatever you decide with your baby.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!