View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
littlelady
Currently Suspended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenyorkies View Post
A bitch with Mastitis is sick...Her breast tissue will be swollen, reddened, purple looking and hard...They will be very uncomfortable to touch...painful...

She may be lethargic, not want to eat...will have a fever...and may even refuse to let pups nurse...

If I have a mom with these conditions I will apply a warm compress and then gently express some milk to make the breast softer...You can tell by the color of the milk if she has an infection...If so Mom will need to go to the vet for antibiotics... Make sure to give some yogurt if antibiotics are prescribed...

Mastitis is a medical emergency and can be life threatening if not taken care of!

Hope all is well!
I thank you for your advice. I am keeping a close watch on my momma of 7 puppies. None of her teats are hard but a little redness is present. I clipped the pups nails because their nails were sharp. the 2 teats closest to her tail are red and I know all the pups alternate on both of these more then any other teat. What color would the milk become if mastitis is present? Can she still continue to nurse them on amoxicillin? Is this usually the drug utilized? She doesn't act like she is in pain. She just won't go into the whelping box to feed the puppies. I don't think she likes the heating pad even though it is at one side of the box. to be safe I can take her to the vet tomorrow I will post a picture of her 2 teats I am concerned about I am just not sure on how to post a picture to a message. It will be in one of my albums shortly.
littlelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!