View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Yorkieluv
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

So sorry to hear that your baby is so sick...I have a similar story about when I got my puppy almost 4 yrs ago.
He had an upper respiratory infection, coccidia, luxating patellas, and liver problems (which we did not know at the time).

Wobbliness and drunken-like behavior *after eating* is not hypoglycemia unfortunately...This is a symptom of liver problems. While your baby may also have problems with hypoglycemia, this disorientation after eating is not caused by that.

My suggestion to you is that you have a bile acid test run on her as soon as possible and a 12-hr fast is absolutely *not* necessary according to Dr. Center from Cornell University who invented the bile acid test and is one of the leading experts in liver issues.
If your vet has questions about that, I'm sure they could contact Dr. Center directly to get more info on it. The important thing is to have a paired sample. What they do is draw a little blood before a meal and then they feed the dog...2 hours later, they draw a little blood again. No fasting necessary.

Bile acid tests are relatively inexpensive ranging from $45-$100 depending on what vets in your area charge.

Until you get a diagnosis, it's important that you feed her small and frequent meals. Try to feed her just a little bit every couple of hours. If the problem is in the liver, this will help lighten the load on the liver. Also, this is important because dogs who have liver problems cannot store glucose properly and could have hypoglycemia.

I pray that your baby will be okay and that this is nothing serious.

I'll share with you a little bit about what I went through with Miko when he was a pup...

We got him when he was 12-13 weeks old and we took him to the vet because he started acting lethargic, he was a picky eater, and didn't seem right. The vet told us he had an upper respiratory infection, a serious case of coccidia, hypoglycemia, luxating patellas, etc.

He had some bouts of staring off into space and disorientation and abnormal tiredness. We had to take him to the E.R. on a few occassions. Drunken-like after meals, etc...Anyway, to make a VERY long story short, we found out that in fact he did and does have a liver problem. At first, all the vets were attributing it to hypoglycemia because the symptoms can mimic each other.
That's why it's important to have a bile acid test. While a blood panel is also very important, it won't show a problem in the liver until it's quite damaged, and a BAT is much more sensitive to liver function.

Please keep us updated on your puppy.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!