Thread: Help!!
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootieBootie View Post
1. Do not baby her or attempt to calm her by baby talking, cuddling or carrying her around.

2. Act as if there is not a storm going on. DO the same things you normally do.

3. See if you can divert her attention with play, and if so give her a treat for giving you her attention.

Once this storm passes, you need to start desentizing her to the sound, so that this will be less likely to happen again.

I am a behaviorist, and you can pm me and I will walk you through the steps to get her past this. It can be done. I'm sorry that things are so chaotic right now. Just trust me when I say DO NOT attempt to calm her by doting on her. If you do, you will only be telling her that her behavior is acceptable, and she will continue to act this way, or worsen, as she is exposed to more storms.

It will be hard, but for her best interest, please act as if nothing is going on. Do what you normally do.

Excellent post, the soothing that we try to do just reinforces the feeling that they should be feeling anxious. It is so hard not to do this, but what you do this time, sets the stage for future behavior.

Join today and remove this ad!