View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
erino77
Currently Suspended!

Cry cotton coat mats..to cut or not to cut?? ideas needed please.

So i have been having a dilema over Koda. He is a soft cotton coat. and as we all know, it is so hard to keep up. I bathe him once a week and switch between Minksheen and Perfect Coat oatmeal shampoo & Perfect Coat pink lilac moisturizing/conditioning rinse which is supposed to help w/ matting problems. I love all three products, but can't keep the mats away. We just received Top Performance GLOCOAT conditioner/detangler from our GE buddy and are hoping it will help us more. He just seems to mat when you look at him the wrong way! What can I do? As I said he gets bathed 1 time week. Gets combed w/ a metal comb then brushed w/ a slicker brush DAILY (with the exception of the past 2 days). And within 2-3 hours he has those darn mats starting again. With all the playing outside during those 2 days he is an absolute mess. I sat for an hour tonight spraying the GLOCOAT on the mats and tried working them out starting from the end and working my way closer to him. I a getting nowhere! I don't want to get him shaved but I know these can not feel good to him. Last time when i got him a puppy cut he actually acted like he felt better! Which I don't blame him Also I have been using a silk lined harness vest to hopefully help since under his harness is where so many tend to start.
Any suggestions? Should I take him and get a puppy cut (summer is coming) If I do that can I leave his head/chest the same as it is now and just cut his "trunk" so to say, and leave his legs longer? Would that look crazy?!?! I just don't want to lose his hair all the way. He is so beautiful in my eyes! Also right now his under belly is shaved down close trying to help.
What do I do? I want to do what's best for Koda
So sorry this got so long, I just wanted to get a clear pic of whats going on and my feelings in it.
Here are a few pics of him recently and tonight to show what his length is now. the one where he is sitting pretty really shows the extent of his mats he got just the past 2 days on his chest. He really isn't that big. I just feel like a bad Mommy. I try to keep the mats away, I just can't seem to
Please help Koda feel/look better
TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koda long 005.jpg (26.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg koda long 002.jpg (21.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg koda long 001.jpg (22.1 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg koda long 004.jpg (30.4 KB, 113 views)
erino77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!