Thread: Teacup
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 04:39 AM   #15
jfalz73
Owned by my yorkies
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindieRose View Post
Well, I agree with that to a point. I have been talking to a lot of breeders anymore, trying to become as educated as possible before we breed. I have a good year or more before we do. I have bred Shih tzus though. Talking with some breeders, when asking about pricing they have said "oh this ones gonna be small, so he/she costs more..." Not "well this one has been small, and has required more care, so he/she costs more". With SOME of them, its all about what the size is going to be (of course they dont really know for sure), more than what has been put into them. And honestly, I dont really mind. I mean, if something is in high demand, dont the prices go up? Why is a Coach bag so much more than a bag from Macys?
Honestly I go back and forth on the issue myself, so this isnt my set in stone opinion. I just try to see both sides of it. Typically, not all the time, people want a smaller yorkie, smaller chi, smaller toy dog. Going by supply and demand, its a given they would be higher priced. Is it ethical? I guess thats going to be an indivually based opinion. I guess its easier to swallow if you say that they required so much care every so many hours, but honestly, the unethical breeders, you know dont care for their dogs the way they should, and thats not the reason they charge more for little ones. And what about if you have a litter of very small pups that dont require a lot of extra time, they just thrive perfectly well on their own? I am sure they would still cost more. But once again, I am not saying anything bad about, because I understand it. Its only irritating to me when people put a bunch of excuses around why the dog is so much, rather than just saying its because they are in high demand. I mean, if someone had a litter of pups that were really big, looked like they were going to be about 12 lbs full grown, I dont think they would ask as much for them, even if they had feeding issues at birth and they had to put a lot of extra time into them, because they know a lot of people wont pay a high $$ amount for a larger than standard yorkie.

jeanne BrooklynBenjamin
jfalz73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!