View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
broodizt
YT 500 Club Member

I just took Cassie home from the Vets at about 6PM tonight after being spayed and having three baby teeth pulled because they never came out, and after having her teeth cleaned. She is fourteen months and her weight varies between 1.8 and 2.2 lbs. She is full grown and very tiny. She is fine. My vet uses isoflorine. When I asked my vet could she tell me if Cassie would be alright- she replied that there is always a risk when using anesthesia, just as there is with people. But they take EVERY precaution, and they reassured me that most likely everything would be alright. They do TONs of these with little dogs all the time. I was a wreck because last week I had just lost my almost 17 yo Yorkie Merlin, the love of my life. He was about 4-6 months old when I had him neutered and was pretty much about the same size as Cassie is fullgrown. He was about 3.5lbs full grown. I was still grieving his loss but knew I had to do Cassie soon because the breeder never got her spayed and she either had a false first heat or a real one, so I didn't want to wait too long before getting it done. To make a long story short, she is resting comfortably in her bed now. I just checked on her. Of course she is a little sore and squeaks a little because it is hurting her a bit. After all, she just had a historectomy. But I have pain meds to give her and I will give them to her as soon as I can so she will sleep okay, and they say by tommorrow or the next day she will want to be jumping around and I will need to keep her quiet for about 10 to fourteen days. Thats probably going to be hard because she likes to jump around like a little jack rabbit. I may have to carry her in her shoulder pouch. WHEW!

Anyway, get another Vet. You know of course there are never any guarantees, with people or with pets. But with most vets who really know what they are doing and take every precaution, most dogs come out with flying colors. Actually, I've never heard a vet say what your vet said to you. Your little one is gigantic next to Cassie, so I don't think her size is too small. It really is very average for a Yorkie. If what your vet said was accurate, then 90% of all Yorkies would never get spayed because they would all be deemed too small. Doesn't make sense. Tons of yorkies are 5lbs and even smaller and are spayed everyday. Most are not as small as Cassie fullgrown. But 5lbs, this really is about average. Sorry for ranting. I would get another vets opinionn- one who is experienced with small dogs. That being said, as my vet said to me, of course in things medical there is always a risk. I guess you have to weigh the risks against the potential benefits. Good luck with whatever decision you make. Take Care,Shellie
broodizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!