Thread: Home from vet
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #1
peggato
Yorkie Yakker

Default Home from vet

Hi everyone!

We are back from the vet. He had a full examination with the exception of bloodwork. No parasites in his stool, just alot of pollen and twigs. She thinks he may have ate something outside that upset his tummy. She didn't feel it was the heartworm pill. I was telling the vet that I would have to sweep the sidewalk before letting Barclay out for a walk because he picks everything up, rocks, twigs, paper. I am constantly sweeping things out of his mouth. She suggested that he may have "pica" which is craving everything and anything that is not food. He does well in the house although I have hardwood floors and I vacuum and dust the floors regularly, so theres not much to munch on. But he does go along the perimeter of the room sniffing and licking anything up that is on the floor. Have any of you had a pup with pica. My vet suggested a mask for outdoor trips. The kind that they have at PetSmart. She said he is at risk of developing an obstruction if I don't catch everything he puts in his mouth. Have any of you used the mask? Did your pups grow out of this habit? I feel so bad because he enjoys outside so much. I have tried bringing toys, balls, everything outside to divert his attention from flying objects, dandelions, rocks and papers, but nothing works. I hate to have to use the mask, but if it means his health I am going to do it. Any suggestions??? Or words of encouragement that he will grow out of this in the future? Thanks and I am staying home to watch him all day, she gave me a special diet called Hills Prescription Diet i/d. Have any of you used that when your babies were sick. Sorry so long, just a fretful mom with a first time illness. I feel like when my kids were babies, I wish we had BabieTalk back in the day, wow, it would have been great to talk with other moms and dads! LOL

peggato is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!