View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #15
RawfedYorkieLuv
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Chicken Legs, that's it?

No, this was just an example of the menu. My dogs have been through all of the meats and organs so now I feed whatever I can get, whatever is on sale, whatever I can kill that doesn't get away from me, lol (joking!)
Here it goes;
Organ meats and parts of animals: Green unbleached tripe, trachea, gullet, spleen, liver, kidneys, pancreas, heart, gizzards, tongue, feet, chicken parts, turkey parts.... beef, pork, lamb, goat, rabbit (they didn't care for that too much), fish, eggs. Soon I will be feeding deer, bear, caribou and wild fresh sockeye salmon as we are planning a trip to Alaska to visit some family. I have fed ostrich and buffalo before. It's expensive and counts as the more exotic meats that are not very often in rotation. Last night they had beef riblets for dinner and a side of pork kidneys. This morning they got turkey breast pieces and a bit of beef heart. Each dog is different and has different needs, which is something that comes to light when switching to prey model. My senior dog can't handle too much bone (constipation) and needs a little extra organ meats. My puppy is very tiny and I have to cut into the meaty bone with a knife so she'll be able to get anything off, she'll get stronger over time though! My 1 year old can't handle too much pork fat or chicken skin or she'll vomit, the other dogs have no issue with that. This is normal, other raw feeder report similar quirks. This and other topics of prey model is what we raw feeders discuss on the other forums. Of course, where to score bargain meat is on top of every prey model feeder's list. I have purchased a 18 pound turkey for 29 cents per pound recently. Between 3 Yorkies, I feed about 20 pounds of food a month. This turkey has been cut up in more manageable pieces and frozen to store in my Yorkie's freezer. The other day my butcher gave me 4 pounds each of chicken gizzards and livers for free! Pork necks were on sale at my local ethnic supermarket for 46 cents per pound. And so on and so forth. I scout the meat sale sections every week, some people only have time to do so once a month. I stock up on what's on sale, sometimes I just buy what's not on sale because I want my dogs to eat a certain animal or cut.
There are also ways to feed this way while you're away from your house! We are currently at our weekend condo in Mexico and I feed them their customary diet here just the same. It takes a little more planning and prep work but it can be done! My dog's health comes before my own convenience, that's for sure!
Thanks for asking and thank you for your interest!!!!
Nadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWorks View Post
So they eat chicken legs twice a day?

Anything else?

Thank you
</IMG></IMG></IMG>
</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!