View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan & the M&M's View Post
urinalysis, which told him what antibiotic to give her, and x-rays 3 months ago which showed up nothing abnormal.

my neighbor, who is a retired vet, suggested that perhaps she has bladder stones that are too small to show up on xrays, and told me i should try dissolving them by diet. he recommended prescription dog food from science diet - but i don't think i want to do that, i prefer all natural. that's why i'm trying to get information from this board.

my current vet i'm not pleased with, i'm going to be checking into finding another one who believes in a more holistic approach.
More testing definately needs to be done.
Some stones do not show up on xray, only ultrasound.
Also, these stones are the ones that Yorkies get who have liver shunt.
Frequent urinary tract infections is a symptom of liver shunt, so she needs to be bile acid tested.

If you want to dissolve the stones, I think you will need to go with a prescription diet. No other diet is designed to do that (unless you homecook and get a recipe from a nutritionist) as far as I know.

Not all stones can be treated with diet either.

Ellie had a similar issue where she was diagnosed with a UTI and medicated. She kept peeing where she wasn't supposed to and the xray showed nothing. Urine culture showed nothing. Ultrasound showed nothing. Her bile acids are way too high though, so it is hard to say.

By the way, did your vet do a urine culture and look for crystals?

Last edited by Ellie May; 04-16-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Ellie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!