View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
MeganS
Donating YT 7000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieLover26 View Post
See that is what I have been told a lot, but the breeder that I bough him from say that he wont get any bigger, and my mother has a female that weighs 8 pounds, is that too little for him to breed. Ok so say if he is to big, what should i do then?
He is too big to breed. The breeder can never be spot on, and he may stay at the same weight or he may get bigger.

First, he is bigger than the standard. Its OK, because my guy is too. But really, its best if standard yorkies are the only ones being bred. and also, it could really hurt a female (who should be bigger than the male) if she is carrying a large male's babies, because the babies may get too big for her, which will make it dangerous for her.

My suggestion is to have him neutered and enjoy him as your loving pet-only companion. If you're really serious about breeding (which is great if you are!!) then I suggest that you stick around this site. Check out the breeders forum, read everything that you can (books, this forum, etc), find a professional in your area to mentor you, and invest in a show-quality stud. There is a lot to do to prepare before you should breed.

Its great that you came on and asked first though, because some people would have just done it and put the female and babies' lives in danger. So good luck to you! and welcome to YT!

All Gave Some; Some Gave All
MeganS is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!