View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wengaroni View Post
...feeding too many treats? There are days when Mocha won't eat her food and only wants treats. Sometimes I comply and sometimes I don't, but I feel guilty when she doesn't eat anything at all and waits for a treat. Anybody else's munchkin do this?
Joey took a trick training class, and got fussier and fussier with the treats we gave him. Finally, he would perform for string cheese only. During this period he often didn't eat regular food and ate only treats. He graduated with honors and a pound heavier. I stopped all treats, and eventually he learned to love his food again. Vet suggested supplementing his food with green beans to give him a full feeling since we also restricted his regular food. The lesson is they will hold out for treats, if they are not all that hungry. Now, I use his regular food for trick training, and he's doing fine.

I think it's very important to limit his treats, and never give an unhealthy treat. Giving him an unhealthy treat should make you feel guilty, not the other way around.

Join today and remove this ad!