View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
Sugar's Mom
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieNewbie22 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am trying to learn as much as I can about showing. I am wondering how you learn to groom for a show? How did you learn? How long did it take you to perfect the top knot?

Sorry its a lot of questions. I just wonder how people get the perfect look. How is the line down the middle made? I have tried but I can never seem to get it straight enough. Do you use hair spray to keep it in line once you are done? Are puppies show the same way adults are? I cant imagine trying to do a topnot on a 6 month old

Anyone have any tips or advice? Thanks to anyone that can help me along!
Well, I will have my girl in her first AKC show Thursday. I still don't know how to "show groom". i have been afraid to trim her ears and paws because AKC is so hung up on the pretty looks on a dog. But, I will do it Wednesday night and hope for the best. My girl will be in the 9-12 month class so she will not have to have a topknot. A puppy's hair isn't long enough. So what you do is pull the hair up, make a fan of it and stick the show bow in. AKC does allow the use of hairspray and other like products. UKC doesn't. I also show UKC. They are concerned with the overall conformation of the dog. You can't even take your comb or brush in the ring like you see in AKC. I saw people at westmister the other day, brushing their dogs on the table right in front of the judge. That is so not right. The hair should part pretty good down the middle on it's own but if not, you use a rat tail comb and yes, you can use something on it to hold. I use Plush puppy right down the part on both sides. Wish i could help more but I am just learning myself.

Last edited by Sugar's Mom; 03-04-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Sugar's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!