View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 07:57 PM   #11
orinskye
YT 2000 Club Member

Toby is trained to go on pee pee pads.... we live in an apartment complex (2nd story) and it would be tiresome to go in and out (especially with my arthritus....... gosh i feel so old saying that, im only 22 ) and the rainy weather...... he was HORRIBLE at it when we first started, im talkign CLUELESS, but he has gotten much better and only has an "accident" once in a while (usually when he is mad at us..... hmmmm....... is there a connection???)...... i tried the same method you are using .... the yell when you see them in the act, but this didnt work for me.... regardless of wether i saw him do it or not i would yell at him, i even swatted him a few times (VERY VERY LIGHTLY ON THE RUMP, ...... he gets worse then that 'swat' playing with my fiance it was jsut the act of punishment that got him doing it right) and i saw DRAMATIC improvement after this....lol.... now he even tells us if he has an accident by coming up and asking for forgiveness

I would say..... whatever works best for you, but keep in mind it took two months to train toby to where he only has accidents occasionally..... you need to evaluate youre living situation and what you are willing to do.... physically i cant climb up and down stairs every twenty minuits so i chose the pads... if you choose to let them outside you CAN NOT let them out alone (especially at night) birds and other predators have been known to carry off toy dogs, are you willing to stand out there in the cold with your dog until they go potty???? evaluate yourself and your needs and then see what you want to do with youre dog
orinskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!