View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #9
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
That site has good information but they didn't say what your dog has to go through if it gets heartworm. They have to be injected with a type of arsenic more than once. It is quite serious to get heartworm. I don't like the drugs either though. If you are in a state that freezes during the winter I would not give it in those months. There is also a grace period for some of them. Heartgard, for example, has a 15 day grace period. They just tell you to give it every 30 days so you remember. I would probably give Heartgard every 40 or so days because 45 is cutting it too close. I use Interceptor though and I'm not sure of the grace period on it.
Like I said this is a controversial subject. I have had Yorkies for 12 years, they stay in my home. I have never had any get heartworms. I know other breeders that do not use the heartworm medicines. Just google 'natural heartworm treatment' and you will find much more information on the prevention and natural treatment for heartworms without all the dangerous sideefects. I read a very interesting article a few years ago that explain the cycle of the heartworm and it said many dogs can live long natural life with heartworms. The heartworms can live in your dog up to 7 years but they eventually die, they don't multiply. Most dogs I know that die from heartworms don't die from the heartworms but from the treatment. The heartworm medicines might prevent heartworms but what about all the damage you might be causing to their organs and immune system. I am a firm believer in alternative medicine. I have witnessed to often what over medication can do to our pets and people.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!