View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #15
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
No, I'm not supplementing ,what should I be using? Will missing link work? Also do you know the ratio of the chicken,veggie,rice?
I think this is the most difficult part of homecooking. There are probably hundreds of different things you could use to supplement. I use something that you have to get through a vet or nutritionist. Some people on YT use Dr. Pitcairn's healthy powder (from his book). I'm not convinced this is a good mixture of supplements. I have no idea either way. It works well for some. Missing Link will not work. It is a good supplement but I don't think there are nearly enough vitamins in it for this. It also has very little calcium in it. Not even feeding yogurt or cottage cheese everyday would be near enough calcium. You can use bone meal, egg shells or calcium tablets. I used a nutritionist for Ellie, so I don't have to be concerned if her meals are balanced. You could just get a book though. Dr. Pitcairn is fine for some, but some of the things he says are not accurate, so that's your call.

The amounts of meat, veggies, carb don't really matter as long as you know the dog is getting enough protein (atleast 18-20%). And just because you add 20% chicken to a meal doesn't mean it is 20% protein. So I prefer to talk to a nutritionist or use a recipe. I quoted the lowest amount of protein you would want to feed. More would be acceptable. You also have to make sure you are giving enough fat and not too much. I think 25% is too high for Yorkies. Ellie gets about 18%. That is even a bit high.

You could just take the easy way out of supplementing and use BalanceIT K. That is what I do.

Last edited by Ellie May; 01-28-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Ellie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!