View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
ellie81
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Your meal ideas sound great-a meat, starch, and veggie together is a wonderful start! You can also use potatoes, sweet potatoes, whole grain pasta in small shapes, and oatmeal for starches. For veggies, my two really like grated zucchini, carrots, peas, and squash too! Try different types and cuts of meat so he gets a variety of different things to eat, beef, veal, chicken are great as you mentioned, but if you can find buffalo, venison, salmon and different white fish like Tilapia, Perch, or Cod are all great too!

I use a book called "Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Cats & Dogs", and I use his "healthy Powder" supplement, as many other YT'ers do. There are several supplements that are mixed together to create the powder, which they get a daily dosage of. Then his recipes also call for supplements of Vitamins E, C, & A, plus extra calcium. I also use flax seed oil instead of fish oils for Omega 3's-I use this in place of the vegetable oils in his recipes. If he doesn't have allergies, Flax Oil may be a good choice...if he does, many members recommend the fish oils.

For amounts, it is about the same amount as the kibble he is eating, however, remember that homecooked food contains more water than dry kibble, so you'll want to increase the amount a bit. For example, my Milli would eat a little less than 1/2 cup dry kibble daily, so I feed her about 1/2 cup homemade food, plus a few snacks like vegetables, all natural treats, yogurt, cheese, etc.

For breakfast, I give each of my two 1/2 a hard boiled egg, plus 1-2" of banana split between them, plus 1 tablespoon cottage cheese or yogurt. I also sometimes change this up and give the egg, and oatmeal with yogurt and/or applesauce mixed in. They love it!
Thank you so much for your detailed response!!! I gonna try the different options for veggies and starches, they sound great!
Also, the breakfast sounds awesome! I'm sure he'll love that
Where can i get the powder? is Healthy Powder the name?
Thanks!

Last edited by ellie81; 01-21-2008 at 08:38 AM.
ellie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!