View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Suzy
2 Pups=Double Trouble!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie81 View Post
Please need advice!
Bengi is not crazy about any kibble or dog food and I’ve tried many brands. He will eat it if he’s very hungry, but he would go all day without eating in the hope of getting some other food (and by other I mean human food). He absolutely loves any food that tastes like human food and he’ll devour it. I sometimes homecook for him and try to mix it with the kibble, but he always leaves the kibble behind
I’m thinking about feeding him all homecook, because that’s what he likes. But I know that dog food have certain vitamins and stuff they need
Let’s say I give him a meal that contains
Meat – like ground beef, chicken, or veal.
Starch – like brown rice
Vegetable – like green beans, carrots, or peas.
What type of vitamin supplement should I get to make sure he gets all he needs to be a healthy furbaby??? And how much should I feed him of this homecook meal a day???
I will still leave kibble in his food bowl all day in case he wants to eat it sometime.
Your meal ideas sound great-a meat, starch, and veggie together is a wonderful start! You can also use potatoes, sweet potatoes, whole grain pasta in small shapes, and oatmeal for starches. For veggies, my two really like grated zucchini, carrots, peas, and squash too! Try different types and cuts of meat so he gets a variety of different things to eat, beef, veal, chicken are great as you mentioned, but if you can find buffalo, venison, salmon and different white fish like Tilapia, Perch, or Cod are all great too!

I use a book called "Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Cats & Dogs", and I use his "healthy Powder" supplement, as many other YT'ers do. There are several supplements that are mixed together to create the powder, which they get a daily dosage of. Then his recipes also call for supplements of Vitamins E, C, & A, plus extra calcium. I also use flax seed oil instead of fish oils for Omega 3's-I use this in place of the vegetable oils in his recipes. If he doesn't have allergies, Flax Oil may be a good choice...if he does, many members recommend the fish oils.

For amounts, it is about the same amount as the kibble he is eating, however, remember that homecooked food contains more water than dry kibble, so you'll want to increase the amount a bit. For example, my Milli would eat a little less than 1/2 cup dry kibble daily, so I feed her about 1/2 cup homemade food, plus a few snacks like vegetables, all natural treats, yogurt, cheese, etc.

For breakfast, I give each of my two 1/2 a hard boiled egg, plus 1-2" of banana split between them, plus 1 tablespoon cottage cheese or yogurt. I also sometimes change this up and give the egg, and oatmeal with yogurt and/or applesauce mixed in. They love it!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!