View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvnvgirl View Post
YIKES!!! Are you SERIOUS?
Now I feel awful for feeding Max the W/D for so long ! I'll have to check to see the protein content in both just to make sure he's getting what he should. I would ask my vet, but I know she's totally into the Hills and I'm thinking of changing to another vet anyway. I'm not sure if I could handle the cat food smell either, LOL..I've got 2 cats and some of their canned food smells pretty bad! Max is on the W/D b/c a couple of years ago (he'll be 3 in March) he was a little overweight AND came down with pancreatitis. They couldn't determine if the pancreas was overworked b/c he was overweight or if he'd gotten into something, but regardless, he did need to lose some weight and it's really helped. He's quite the avid eater, so I give him canned food twice a day and little bits of the dry in between (like when I"M eating so he feels like he's part of the group, LOL).
I was feeling kind of scared to change his food since he's been doing so well; but I guess it's not going to hurt him to at least try him on something different.

I know this is a dumb question, but why does your dh have an aversion to Hills? I felt happy when a lot of the other dog foods were being recalled, that at least the one Max was on wasn't one of them. But I have heard a lot of negative things said about Hills foods.

Please don't feel bad. Ellie was on Science Diet before I knew better because we thought it was best.

Most vets have a way of getting us to accept Hills. After I took Ellie off of regular Science Diet kibble we started homecooking. Ellie needed a special diet for her liver. The vet said we could try L/D. I said I wouldn't use Science Diet and then she tells me she doesn't use it much either. See, some vets recommend it because they don't know what else to do. They do have all the disease formulas. Most vets think it is the best thing since sliced bread though.

I can't say why her hubby doesn't like it but I can tell you why I don't. They use horrible ingredients, they give good discounts to vet students and try to get them into their food early and they do seminars at vet school along with a few other companies and this is some of the only "nutrition" training that vet schools get. It is biased.

Ingredients in W/D:
Canned:
Water, Egg Product, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken, Cracked Pearled Barley, Pork Liver, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Iodized Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, L-Tryptophan, Ascorbic Acid (source of vitamin C), L-Carnitine, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Beta-Carotene, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

There are worse food than this one. Corn is a major cause of allergies and isn't too much more than a filler. I wouldn't want to feed liver everyday (vitamin a toxicity) but it is lower on the list so it might be okay. I still wouldn't feed this unless absolutely necessary and I don't think it is because there are lots of food low in protein and fat.

Dry:
Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose 18% (source of fiber), Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken by-product Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Mill Run, Chicken, Soybean Oil, Dried Beet Pulp, Calcium Sulfate, Iron Oxide, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with BHT, BHA and Ethoxyquin, L-Tryptophan, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene.

This is a terrible food. The corn would be the least of my worries in this one. By-Products can be things like kidney and heart which are good for dogs but they can also be other things like blood. I'm not sure about soybean mill run is a filler with little nutritional value. It is sometimes referred to as floor sweepings. BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin are chemicals that shouldn't go into anyone's body. Ethoxyquin is labeled "POISON" and is used very rarely in spices. It is banned for human use in a lot of places and banned totally in Japan.

Last edited by Ellie May; 01-04-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Ellie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!