Thread: Demodex Mange
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
2Parises
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Whether or not it comes back or not depends on many factors...such as the underlying problem of the original breakout...and why the immune system was / is diminished.

Our Biewer Samira had Demodectic Mange when we got her (that was the reason she was placed with us btw). I worked closely with our vet to first get her spayed (not waiting until the flare-up was over) at 8 months-old. Then as soon as her incision was healed, we started the mitaban treatments at home every 7 days for 10 weeks. We also put her on an immuno-booster supliment that was meant for dogs with cancer. (http://www.b-naturals.com/product_in...products_id=24)

She was very thin and had no appitite when she first came to us. Within 2 weeks her appitite came back and she had started gaining weight.

The Mitaban dips were not as horrible as I had first thought they would be. I will say that because you don't rinse that out of the coat, she smelled like her fur had been torched. We had my MIL make her pajamas that she wore all the time. That kept her from itching the mange spot and keeping the mitaban on the body.

Today she is happy, healthy and flare-up free. All of our girls are spayed so there aren't raging hormones in the house to get the stress racheted up...and cause more flares.

There's a lot of mis-information out there that you have to sort through and a lot of people who have never dealt with it will try to tell you not to do mitaban....just "see if it will go away". That sometimes works...sometimes doesn't.

Find a Vet you trust... follow their instructions to the "T"...

I wish you good luck. If you have any questions...please feel free to pm me. There are some very specific things you will want to do during the dips...like the eye drops and making sure you get every part of the body covered...especially between the toes.

~Lorene
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!