View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #13
Ashley V
♥ Chip ♥ Smokey ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfield View Post
Thanks for the advice. It's really confusing...I have consulted with several obedience trainers with upcoming classes. One recommends no collar, another recommends a choke chain, another a pinch collar, another a harness. Then some use all treats for responses, yet one trainer who has TV and movie dogs guarantees results with absolutely no treats and a pinch collar, and "scaring techniques" in the dog's environment, like noisy cans with rocks or pennies inside.

He's got to get into an obedience class in January but I'm so confused which route to take, so many different choices.

Another thing I'm curious about...if I get him a harness, does it stay on at all times? He jumps and squirms when his collar goes on him and it would be a fight putting a harness on and taking it off a few times a day.

Thanks for any help.

NEVER EVER use a pinch collar, choke collar, scaring techniques, meds, or any of that PLEASE! Your dog is a baby still and he has puppy energy. I have an 11 month old and an 8 month old and they are still crazy as ever and I would NEVER consider that. Putting your puppy on a calming medication like valium is kind of like the sudden craze in diagnosing almost every kid with ADD. The only way I would give my dog a calming med is if he/she had a SERIOUS anxiety issue. My 8 month old is a rescue and yes I have considered it because he does have a bad issue with anxiety but we are working through it. Get your dog in obedience classes... it helps a lot. Spend a lot of time playing with your dog. Take him for long walks. Socialize him with other dogs. If you work long days, take him to a puppy day care, but don't expect him or ANY dog to calm all the time. Also, I do recommend using treats as a way of training. Dogs respond best to consistency and positive reinforcement and of course they LOVE treats and since your puppy is still young, I recommend just short amounts of time like 30 minutes of training, then take a break, etc.

Karley Marissa born 1/20/12 weighing 8 lbs 11 oz and 21.5 inches long
Ashley V is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!