View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

I firmly believe in positive training for a Yorkie. Anyone who suggests, pinch or choke collar could be killing your Yorkie and I don't believe these methods should be used on any dog. I believe that only harness's should be used on a Yorkie and it is okay to leave one on a Yorkie all the time but it will matt up their hair. Yorkies love one on one interaction and they love to get out and walk.

From Sherry Woodard's training materials:
WHY I BELIEVE IN RELATIONSHIP-BASED TRAINING
By Sherry Woodard
Through my over thirty years of training experience, I have found that positive dog training built on a relationship is the most kind, effective method of training. When you have a relationship with the dog, you have trust, and the dog wants to spend time with and work with you. By reinforcing behaviors that you like and want to continue seeing, you set the dog up for success. Positive dog training is effective for teaching new behaviors or changing current behavior for ANY genetically stable, medically healthy animals. Regardless of an animal’s age and past experiences, positive training methods give an animal the best chance for success in his lifetime.
My education consists first of training many different types of animals. The success of positive training, in modifying the behavior, was proof of its value. As I became aware of other training techniques, through years of experience of working with other trainers, veterinarians, attending conferences, reading books, and watching videos, I furthered my belief in positive training methods based in relationship. By staying abreast of the animal welfare movement, I continue to be open to advances in the field of training and behavior.
We can use this simple rule to our advantage—dogs do what works. Keeping this in mind, positive training methods include:
Understanding the animal’s needs—is this animal injured, ill, fearful, frustrated, hungry, thirsty, needs to eliminate?
Understanding body language to help the animals and keep ourselves safe
Reinforcing any behavior you like
Eliciting and reinforcing appropriate behavior through shaping, targeting, or capturing the behavior
Teaching incompatible behaviors to address undesirable behaviors
Preventing the ability to continue practicing unwanted behaviors by controlling the environment, and controlling exposure
Supervising to set up for success
Setting up situations for behavior modification
Using what the dog wants to your advantage; find out what motivates the dog
Ignoring unwanted behavior
Distracting a dog to refocus
Positive trainers also have realistic expectations for the animal. They understand that animals are not born knowing how to fit into our human lives. Most adult dogs I meet have not properly been taught how to be part of a loving human family. If they have been in a loving home they still lack the skill to generalize toward strangers, new situations, etc. Punishing an animal for not knowing anything is an unfair expectation. Every animal should be seen as an individual.
There are training methods, not based in relationship, that I choose not to use after seeing the negative effects on the animals. These are methods which cause confusion, lack of trust, breakdown in relationship, physical injury, fear, and so-called unpredictable behavior. Examples include:
Dominance
Physical force
Pushing a dog into a sit or down
Alpha rolls
Physical punishment (hitting, kicking, slapping, hanging, finger grabs)
Leash corrections
Harsh tones; verbal reprimands
Cornering the dog and not giving him an “out”
Methods which rely on inflicting pain
Pinch/prong collar
Training/choke chains
In addition to the negative effects on the animals, these techniques have caused people to get injured and dogs to lose their lives. The success rate for positive-based training greatly outweighs the use of punishment/discipline-based training.
https://www.bestfriends.org/guardian...09363E645CD2E5
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!