View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
labrown
T&T-DYNOMITE!
Donating Member

Tbone loves his harness, because it means he gets to go somewhere. So he behaves very well when we put it on and take it off. But as soon as he has it on he is very hyper too, just because he really wants to go on a walk. Just praise him when you are putting on the harness, so he associates it with something good happening.

Were the people who suggested these collars and training methods specifically talking about yorkies? I just wonder because I do think that pinch collars work ok on other types of dogs, like a golden retriever, but I also think they are not necessary. If Cesar Millan can control a red-zone dog without one, I think other people can too. When we went through training class, our teacher suggested gentle leaders (face harnesses) for all of the other students in our class except us. Our dogs were to little to try that technique. I think you can get better results with these kind of dogs with praise techniques than scare tactics. I do think the pennies in a can works though!

Best of luck, I hope the training class goes well and you find out what works best for you. When our dogs get super worked up, I usually just walk away from them and ignore them til they calm down.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!