View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelcb80 View Post
Are all dog vaccines sold as combos or can the individual types be purchased? I'm not nearly as knowledgable about dog vaccines as I am horse vaccines. With horses you can get most the different vaccines as a combo, or you can get them individually. I personally prefer to vaccinate with the separate ones, as opposed to the combos. (many different reasons for this but mainly because I was worried about vaccine reactions and if a combo was used, I wouldn't know which part was to blame) So does the Parvo vaccine contain the different strains of Parvo in it, or just a select few? I wonder if I could find all this info on Fort Dodge's website, or Intervet?

I'm asking all this because I've lost a little faith in my vet and I don't like to put the total care of my pets in someone elses hands. I like to know enough to make intelligent decisions on my pets behalf.
the combo vaccine is the most widely used vaccine. If you wanted to do everything as a single vaccine do you know how many injections you'd be giving your pup? there are at least 5 vaccines in that combo and you have to give a puppy 4 boosters, and with these little ones you do not want to give multiple injections on the same day, also what would be the point of giving them on the same day in multiple injections if you could just get them in a combo. I'm sorry but the thought of giving the single vaccines instead of the combo vaccine just doesn't make sense.

Find a new vet, but your puppy does need to see one to get the rest of his combo boosters and to continue his evaluation after his parvo scare
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!