View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelaine View Post
I would appreciate any and all help with my Yorkie. She just eats soooooooo fast and doesn't always chew her food before she starts to swallow. I know she is not that hungry, but she just woofs it down. Three times she scared me so much because the food was caught in her throat. I break up her treats in the morning into small pieces. The other two times she eats I have rice and ground round in the bowl. I never saw a dog inhale her food so fast. She actually has lost her balance the three times that the food got stuck. I just rubbed her neck and throat until it went down. Is there anything I can do to make her eat slower? Sometimes I have just stroked her back calmly telling her to slow down. This seems to help a bit, but not as much as I would like. Please advise. Thanks so much.

Angelaine
hmm.. what do you feed her? dog food or home cooked? i was just a bit confused by your post... have you seen the dog bowls (usually meant for large breed dogs) that have a post in the middle of the bowl to force the dog to only be able to take a small amount as opposed to just gulping down whatever they can get their mouth around. You could fashion something like it. Just put soemthing like a full pop can in the middle of her bowl and with it "in the way" she won't be able to get as much food and will have to eat slower. Otherwise i would suggest giving her smaller amounts more often.. 10 pieces of kibble here, 10 there.... good luck you are somewhat lucky (choking aside) many of us have PICKY eaters who won't eat anything!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!